Welcome to Barras Family Dentistry, where Dr. Brock Barras and our dedicated team are grateful for our patients in Lafayette, Louisiana, and are pleased to help you with all of your oral health needs.
Now that the holidays are here and our tables full, tooth pain is not something you want to deal with. If you feel a sharp pain when you bite down on your food or you constantly have to chew on one side of your mouth because of pain, you may have a cracked tooth.
Watch out for These Culprits
- If you chew on hard objects such as ice, hard candy, or hard nuts you can fracture a tooth.
- A blow to the mouth can crack a tooth.
- If tooth enamel is exposed to temperature extremes, your tooth can crack. So if you are eating hot soup, don’t be tempted to sip ice water with it.
- Your teeth can crack if you persistently grind or clench your teeth (also known as bruxism).
- To repair a cracked tooth, Dr. Brock Barras will first examine the tooth to determine proper treatment. For example, if the tooth has minor cracks, bonding with a tooth-colored composite resin or dental filling may be all that will be required. However, if the damage is severe or affecting the tooth pulp, the tooth may require extraction, requiring a root canal.
If your tooth needs to be extracted, Dr. Brock Barras will review tooth replacement options with you to restore your beautiful smile. At Barras Family Dentistry in Lafayette, Louisiana, we offer high-quality, natural-looking tooth replacement options, including dental implants, dentures, and dental bridges.
If you are experiencing tooth pain, please call us at (337) 443-4912 as soon as possible. Until you are seen by our dentist, Dr. Brock Barras, please avoid chewing on that side of your mouth. You can take acetaminophen or over-the-counter pain reliever as needed, and rinse with salt water for relief. We will get you smiling again in no time!